Tuesday, March 17, 2009










Today I met a woman who just lost her child two weeks ago. She came into the office and my coworker unwittingly asked how her babies were doing. The woman responded, "The oldest is four and...we lost one two weeks ago." I was speechless and near tears the rest of the afternoon. She was coming in to get contacts because she thought it would be easier to deal with everything than if she was wearing glasses. It's difficult to see when your glasses are fogged up with tears....but did you know that contacts accumulate protein deposits much more rapidly when you cry a lot?

I just thought, "What would I ever do if lost my precious baby? What if it was my fault that he died?" You hear stories of mom's who deviate from their routine or are so frazzled that they forget their babies in the car. How does life ever go on when something like that happens?

What a difference just a short time makes. A year ago, I was 4 months pregnant, and barely showing. A year before that, I had just met the man who would become my husband. At that time, I very much did as pleased; even though I had been with boyfriends for years, it was just never that serious. They were never the guy I could see myself raising a family with and growing old. But because I couldn't fathom marriage and children, it just didn't matter if I stayed with them or not.

But now. Now, my whole world is completely my husband and our baby (and our dog, too!) Sure, I wish I could finish school and bake full time. But I think that time will come all too soon: the time when Taki and his future siblings no longer need me full time, because they have their school and friends and activities. I cringe at the thought when will Taki struggle to break free of my embrace because he is 'a big boy', too big to cuddle with mama. So now, I try to journal and blog to capture the emotions, and take copious picture and scrapbook them to keep those picture in my mind crisp and clear. Already, I look at pictures from six months ago, and he's so DIFFERENT.

Right now, we are trying to get him to sit up, crawl, hold his own bottle, and pick up cheerios to put in his mouth. All steps to necessary independence and away from us. This week I finally made the almost heartbreaking decision to start weaning him. But I'm glad it will be a slow process because he still loves to cuddle with mama, especially at bedtime.

4 comments:

Sarah Osborne said...

Hi! This is Keith's cousin, Sarah...I saw your blog on Ashley's page. Your little boy is ridiculously cute! I hope we can meet you both some day!

Valerie said...

I am very sorry to hear that your grandpa passed away. I hope you are receiving some comfort through the grieving process. By the way, I'm Sarah's Mom and Keith's Aunt. Your little boy is very cute and looks happy & healthy. You and Keith are undoubtedly excellent parents!

Unknown said...

wow, he is such a sugar i could bite him! he should be a little baby model the camera loves him!!!

that is so sad about that woman at work, that has happened to me before.. i asked the wrong question and such a sad story came out of it, i cried the rest of the day, how can you sell perfume when all you can think about is what if it were my husband who died...
on a happy note, i am so excited to find your blog and to get to see pics of Taki . my sisters and i always said he would be gorgeous!!!

Kelley.L.Gordon said...

How is it I get to know friends I've known for years so much better through their blogs?
People spill out to blogspot. I love it.
I didn't know you kept one until I was trying to reach you today nad saw the link on FB.
K